Saturday, June 4, 2011

Mother

One day I will count your silver hairs
and we will sit beside the big window
breeze touching your crumpling skin
and we will welcome the silence

That day your pain won't be there
the food will forever be hot
your saree will be starched to crisp
and your couch soft and warm

You will sing in your clear voice
and read out stories for me
your voice laced with happiness
and dreams, hopes and memories

Your hands will smell of fresh spices
sunshine will light up your eyes
and I will sleep in your arm
dreaming of galloping horsemen

Nothing will fade out again
the pictures will hang in a line
your comb will be clean and
your glasses wiped with a soft cloth

One day I will collect your love
from every corner of this house
and make scars with their sharp edges
in the empty hollows of my heart















1 comment:

  1. "A mother is she who can take the place of all others but whose place no one else can take" -- Cardinal Mermillod

    ReplyDelete